At first, Brazilian culture didn’t
seem too different than what I am used to in the states. Sao Paulo looked very
developed and had roughly the same city feel as Boston. However, the more we
saw and interacted with locals the more I started to notice the differences in
character. So what is it that “defines” what a Brazilian is like? Sérgio
Buarque de Holanda wrote a book in 1936 that discusses this “Brazilian
character” that can still be used today for an accurate depiction. He describes
the “cordial man” in reference to what a local Brazilian is like. The cordial
man is described as someone who is led by the heart, puts family before civilization,
and who believes that the public is a place for celebration. The cordial man
does not have a strong work ethic in the sense that work is not his priority, but
fun and games are. What this means to me is that the cordial man is both happy
and friendly in public interactions. I believe this accurately describes many
of the people I have met here during my trip.
So far, everyone has been very
inclusive in all activities even though we hardly know each other. I think this
goes along with the idea that the public is a place for celebration. Everyone
wants to share their culture with us as well as ensure everyone is having a
good time. I think my best example of this is a girl named Milena who we met at
the Bee W one of our first nights here. Milena did not know us, but coincidentally
was moving to Boston the following week and was excited that we were from
there. After we all talked for a while she proceeded to invite us to her plans
for the night. Since it wasn’t too far from our hostel, we agreed and a group
of us went with her to a club. We ended up having a fantastic time and she
stayed with us for all of it. At the end of the night, she went as far as to
walk us all the way home to ensure we made it home safe. We all friended her on
Facebook and told her that when we were back in Boston we would return the
favor and show her around the city.
This scenario
just wouldn’t have happened if the roles were reversed and we were in Boston.
Maybe it’s just me, but I tend not to socialize with strangers too much when I
am out. I also don’t know many people that would add a group of 8 to their
party for the night due to the extra hassle. Furthermore, most people would not
leave early from a party and walk strangers home. The friendliness she showed
us as well as selflessness is something that isn’t often seen in Boston. Not
only was she definitely using the public as a place to celebrate with everyone,
but she acted off of her heart the whole night. Practically, adding 8 strangers
to your night plans can be a pain as well as dangerous because you have no idea
what you are getting yourself into. However, she didn’t hesitate at all or stop
smiling the whole time. I am very grateful to Milena for the amazing time she showed
us and for being so welcoming to us.
All of the locals we have encountered
here so far are all so welcoming compared to anything I am used to back home.
It is surprising that 70 years later the description of the cordial man is
still apparent in the culture here. I look forward to experiencing even more of
the culture during the second half of our stay.
Great that you could perceive that the book is outdated, but still makes a lot of sense. It is also nice that you got to see the "good part" of the cordiality. I just wish that you could have been a little more critical on Brazilian society coming from that idea.
ReplyDelete