Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Homework #3: Solar Power Plant


Today we went to Tanquinho Solar Plant run by CPFL Energia in the city of Campinas. I am not sure what I had in mind specifically when I thought of a solar power plant but what I saw was not it. I think I was expecting a more factory looking environment, but this location was not that. It had an amazing landscape with flowers and ponds outside and high tech equipment inside.  Overall, I was taken back by the beautiful location.

Unfortunately, between the lack of knowledge I have in the energy industry and the language barrier of the workers, my understanding of their operations were very basic. What I gathered from our visit is that the company has a lot of advanced technology that allows them to track all of the energy they supply very accurately. Their operations are run 24 hours a day so they can monitor all of the energy they distribute in case there is a power outage somewhere. In the event of a power outage, they have an overview of the entire grid so power can be sourced from alternate locations when possible. They are also capable of pinpointing exactly where a problem is stemming from so workers can be sent out quickly to fix the issue while customer service is updated with real time notifications that can be relayed to the concerned customers.

 They also showed us their “Smart Meter” which allows them to run tests to show how much energy is being used at a particular point and gather that information in less than a second. With this meter they can monitor energy for billing purposes and also cut off power, or limit it in the case of commercial use, when the bill is not paid for.

Afterwards, we were introduced to their electric cars that run 100% off electricity and are slightly smaller than the average car. One thing that CPFL is still working out is how to control the electricity that will be used for the car. The example given was a cellphone. While you may buy a phone in one location, the carrier is the one in charge of getting data to that phone and the one who also benefits financially from you having a cell phone. They have the same situation with their car. While they would sell the car, the electricity used would come from many different sources and they are working out ways to monitor that as well as make sure there is enough electricity available to charge their cars with.

Lastly, we were driven to their Solar farm where we saw all of the panels they had set up. A small portion of them were able to rotate east to west with the sun which allows for about 11% more efficiency. Unfortunately, due to the cost they cannot have all of their panels rotate. The panels they have covered a large portion of land (in my opinion) and were well maintained. The panels are cleaned every 2 months based off of a calculation of loss of efficiency vs cost of cleaning. According to calculations, after 2 months the dirt on the panels make them 10% less efficient and so that is when they are cleaned.


Even from someone who has limited understanding of how solar energy is collected and distributed, I thought today was very interesting and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to visit their business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment